[SWLUG] Linux audio.

Dave Cridland [Home] dave at cridland.net
Mon Aug 11 12:12:58 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 02:20, philicorda wrote:
> I want to get more people into using Linux and the free audio apps, cos most
> people I know use warzed versions of Windows ones, and run into problems that
> I don't get when using legit Linux apps that do the same job.
> For instance, problems with the broken CD writing stuff with writing proper
> red-book CDs in windows. The Linux apps (even the humble cdrecord) stick to
> the standards, so you dont get CDs rejected by manufacturers when they try to
> create the glass masters.  Can be done in windows, just as well, but it's
> ££££, or dodgy software.
>
> Simple solution for me, use Linux. Not so simple to convince others!

FWIW, a mate of mine who worked in a CD duplication place (Called Chop
'em Out, a search on the web will find plenty of references) told me
that no PC-based CD burner existed which could actually write out red
book properly. You can get close - indeed close enough, but not exactly
right.

I don't know whether the situation has changed, but in those days it was
a hardware limitation, not a software one, as I understood things.

Not that any of this matters in practise, but I thought it was
interesting. :-)

Dave.