[SWLUG] Cardiff meeting reminder - new user

Gareth Bowker tgb at tgb.org.uk
Sun Jan 5 23:53:44 UTC 2003

Hi Noel,

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 21:26, noel jhnson wrote:
> hi
> i am new to this list i was in  an amiga user.
> but now i am geting into the linux stuff you lot
> are into . so am geting a  pc box runing redhat
> maybe .

Always nice to hear about people making (or thinking of making) the
shift to Linux :)

> is it ok if i come to your meeting
> and can i buy linux cd from someone ?

You're more than welcome to come along - I've been to the SWLUG meetings
a few times now (I'm more a West Wales than a South Wales person) but
I'm sure you'll be made to feel very welcome as I always have. I'm down
in Cardiff at the moment so should be there, however I'm on the end of a
slow modem so I can't download a recent distribution for you. Hopefully
someone else should be able to sort out a copy for you. If not, then
either try the coverdiscs on one of the Linux magazines or try
www.linuxemporium.co.uk - they sell pretty cheap CDs of various Linux
distributions (although not Redhat due to some trademark issues)

> also need a s7 mb and an at tower.
>
> i whant to know more about this cool thing that is linux!

One thing I'd suggest is get yourself a book about Linux - Waterstones
in Cardiff have a few on the shelves. Alternatively, get yourself a
boxed version of Linux and read the manual that comes with it. You'll
learn a whole lot more that way than randomly clicking on things to find
out what's there (not that there's anything wrong with that method, of
course!)

Anyway, hope to see you there on Tuesday,

Gareth