[SWLUG] Just moved to South Wales...

Robert McQueen robot101 at debian.org
Tue Jan 7 15:53:26 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 08:20:51PM -0000, Richard wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My name is Richard, and I've just moved back to South Wales after speding
> several years out of the country.
>
> By trade I'm a software developer (Any job offers??) working with evil M$
> stuff  and a great number of open source things :P and a tech support
> supervisor for an ISP who swear by linuux and opensource. If it isn't open
> source then we don't use it :)
>
> At home, I use a Debian for my mail/web/firewall server which is currently
> operating as the bridge from the Wireless VLAN (which is an unprotected
> network where anyone can browse the internet using WiFi) and my standard
> network VLAN.
>
> I just tthought I'd drop a note and embarrass myself inanely!
>
> --
> Richard

Hey Richard, welcome to the list. I don't think you've at all embarrased
yourself. What you describe is a common situation for many list members,
I'd imagine. I commend your use of Debian, mistrust of wireless LAN, and
generous connection-sharing spirit.

Anyone within range of my house would also find themselves able to avail
themselves of my ADSL connection via my Debian gateway/firewall/bridge
box, which is a seperate machine from my mail/file/print/dict/etc server
for security reasons. Also why there is no routing between the wireless
and the wired LAN at all. =)

I'm guessing it's probably too short notice, but there is a meeting
scheduled for tonight at the Shot in the Dark coffee house on City Road
in Cardiff. You don't say where you're based so I don't know if you can
make it, but all are welcome to what is essentially an informal chat
where you can meet us and talk Linux (and plenty of other things besides
=).

Regards,
Rob