[SWLUG] Open Office (Y Swyddfa Gymraeig)

Alan Harris alanh at bryngwyn.carmarthen.sch.uk
Thu Jan 9 12:35:02 UTC 2003

Lyn David Thomas wrote:

>On 17 Dec 02, at 9:45, Jim Killock wrote:
>

>>"On the political front, we have just received a letter from the
>>Assembly's e-Minister announcing that they have adopted the plan to
>>translate OpenOffice and couple it with the English version as an
>>action within the Online Wales strategy - ie seeing the work completed
>>is an aim of the Welsh Assembly"
>>

>That is great news, I am fed up of hearing that schools are
>mandating the use of MS Office 2000 (though a good database
>would be a nice addition to OpenOffice too and would advance its
>use a great deal).

Great news but they obviously don't intend to do anything with it! I
attach the following for your information :-

<quote>

Message from N Hawkins to the Director of Education.
Parents and Information Branch (SPD4)/ Y Gangen Rhieni a Gwybodaeth (ASP4)
Department for Training and Education/ Adran Hyfforddiant ac Addysg
Welsh Assembly Government/Llywodraeth Cynulliad Cymru.

 I let you know that the Welsh Assembly was developing a national model
for producing value-added indicators and a means of predicting
performance between Key Stages.  This work followed on from the
consultation on the future of the publication of Secondary School
Performance Information. A copy of the draft specification detailing our
plans was circulated in late April.  As I mentioned at the time we see
this year's work very much as a pilot and an*_ opportunity for you and
your schools to let us have feedback on the coverage of the model, its
ease of use and improvements you would like to see introduced for future
years._*

This year the model concentrates on secondary schools and provides a
prediction of performance based on Key Stage 2 to 3; Key Stage 2 to 4;
Key Stage 3 to 4 and Key Stage 4 to A/AS level.  It also generates
school-level progress measures (value-added indicators) for the same
periods.  We will be looking to include the Key Stage 1 results and the
appropriate predictions etc. as soon possible.

The model - in the form of an excel spreadsheet  - is now available on
learning.wales and dysgu.cymru and (hopefully) can be accessed by
clicking on the following links.
_http://www.wales.gov.uk/keypubstatisticsforwalesreference/va2002-e.xls_
_http://www.cymru.gov.uk/keypubstatisticsforwalesreference/va2002-w.xls_

Could I ask you to pass this information to your schools?

_In the early part of January I shall be sending a short questionnaire
which will help us evaluate the effectiveness of the model and provide
you with an opportunity to offer comments on possible improvements. It
would be extremely helpful if your responses could include any comments
received fromyour schools. _ Clearly one of our aims for next year will
be to make the information available earlier in the autumn term. This
year's timetable was not helped by the delay caused by the A/AS level
review and a few teething problems in creating the model.

Finally I should like to apologise for making this message available in
English only. The material on the Internet is, however, available in
Welsh and English.

Please note. When the Excel spreadsheet is downloaded you are told that
it contains macros and asked if you wish to continue - yes should be
chosen.We hope to tidy this up in the next day or so when we will
publish a more user-friendly (home) page for the pilot.

</quote>

Very impressive - if you want to use this model (and headteachers will)
then buy a copy of excel - very impressive!

Alan