[SWLUG] Samba - Mandrake 9.1

Robert McQueen robot101 at debian.org
Mon Jul 28 12:36:21 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 11:48:13AM +0100, Dick Porter wrote:
> You might want smbmount instead of mount here.
>
> - Dick

Don't think it makes any difference:
       smbmount  mounts  a  Linux  SMB  filesystem. It is usually
       invoked as mount.smbfs by the mount(8) command when  using

That aside, thought I'd chip in with "What works for me", being
afflicted with windows machines on my home LAN and at college.
I usually use commands of this form:
 mount -t smbfs -o username="The Windows User" //machine/share /mount/point

If you want to speed things up a little, or windows name resolution (a
lot of broadcasting nonsense, usually) is broken, you can also specify
the IP of the windows machine, like this:
 mount -t smbfs -o username="Whatever",ip=1.2.3.4 //machine/share /mnt/pnt

As a further aside, I find that smbfs is impossibly slow, because the
windows implementation is so lame. Rather than using cp for copying
files back and forth, I use "rsync -P" which gives you nice progress,
data rate and ETA indicators.

Hope this is useful.

Regards,
Rob