[SWLUG] ECDL and Star Office/Open Office

Lyn David Thomas lyn at cibwr.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jul 30 23:57:16 UTC 2003

Does anyone know of any training materials for the European Computer
Driving License and StarOffice/OpenOffice.org?  As some of you may know
I work for a recycling charity that also provides training for the
unemployed.  Currently we are running Windows 95 and MS Office 97.
Licenses are getting hard to find and one solution to the problem would
be to change to StarOffice/OpenOffice.org on the Windows 95 machines
(Linux would be a big step!).  At this stage all we are doing is
exploring options.  But a big factor in any decision will be the
availability and quality of any teaching/training materials.  OK we
could write our own - but we don't have time.  A quick search on the net
suggests one group is working on this (*).  Does anyone else know of any
other resources?

By the way, we are looking at offering linux on low powered PCs to our
customers in addition to the Windows machines.  These are low spec
machines, typically Pentium 1 machines running at no more than 200MHz,
with 1-2 GB hard drives and 32 MB ram.  We are currently looking at
Vector Linux (http://www.vectorlinux.com) and may try Peanut Linux.  Any
other suggestions.  Remember the target audience will need a simple
desktop and a graphical environment to work with, an office suite
(OpenOffice.org will run with as little as 32MB RAM - though it will be
slow to start a document!), some nice games that will run on 2MB onboard
2D graphics cards, and maybe support for pci internal modems (based on
conexant chips I think).  These machines are quite separate from the IT
training we do, which is currently all on Windows machies (see above).

(*) see
http://www.ecdlinfo.it/Euk/OpenECDL.htm

--
\/ Lyn David Thomas