[SWLUG] Sharing e-mail between users

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Fri Mar 14 10:15:34 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 18:03, 'o-Dzin Tridral wrote:

> I've tried to set up a shared area e.g. /home/family, made it a group and attempted to set permissions so that group members could all read, write, delete from the area.  I've not been entirely successful in this, and I've not yet found a mail client that I could successfully point to this shared area with any degree of confidence that when e-mail arrived it would be visible to all group members.

Just about any mail client should do, they all have the ability to use
Mbox style saved folders.

You need to put a saved folder in that shared directory, and whoever
reads the email, should move messages not for themselves into that
shared folder. That way all of the others can also access those
messages.

Its otherwise pretty difficult to arrange, as mail is not supposed to
work that way.

A more elegant solution would be to have several email addresses, most
ISP let you pick a couple of aliases,  if all of the emails go to the
same mailbox (often called a multidrop mailbox) then you can setup the
fetchmail program, which will retrieve all of the emails, and
redistribute them on your local machine.

Another possibly useful trick would be to use some procmail rules, to
try and sort incoming emails into seperate folders for you, based on
some patterns you give it (like peoples names at the top of the mail)