[SWLUG] Compile and Install Kooka (OCR)

STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU stephanos at writeme.com
Wed Mar 19 16:36:27 UTC 2003

Dear All

I hope Mondays meeting in Swansea went well.

I have downlaoded the latest version of Kooka (v0.40) as this fixes the error that was in the version that came with Mandrake 8.2.  However for the first time I have to compile the source code.

After unpacking the .tar.bz2 file I read the installation instructions reproduced below.
  1. `cd' to the directory containing the package's source code and type
     `./configure' to configure the package for your system.  If you're
     using `csh' on an old version of System V, you might need to type
     `sh ./configure' instead to prevent `csh' from trying to execute
     `configure' itself.
     Running `configure' takes awhile.  While running, it prints some
     messages telling which features it is checking for.

  2. Type `make' to compile the package.

  3. Optionally, type `make check' to run any self-tests that come with
     the package.

  4. Type `make install' to install the programs and any data files and
     documentation.

  5. You can remove the program binaries and object files from the
     source code directory by typing `make clean'.  To also remove the
     files that `configure' created (so you can compile the package for
     a different kind of computer), type `make distclean'.  There is
     also a `make maintainer-clean' target, but that is intended mainly
     for the package's developers.  If you use it, you may have to get
     all sorts of other programs in order to regenerate files that came
     with the distribution.

The command "./configure" seemed to go fine but at the end an error was reported.
[stephanos at Laptop kooka-0.40]$ ./configure
checking for -p flag to install... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
checking whether g++ supports -Wmissing-format-attribute... no
checking whether g++ supports -Wundef... yes
checking whether g++ supports -Wno-long-long... yes
checking whether g++ supports -Wnon-virtual-dtor... yes
checking whether g++ supports -fno-exceptions... yes
checking whether g++ supports -fno-check-new... yes
checking whether g++ supports -fno-common... yes
checking whether g++ supports -fexceptions... yes
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
not using lib directory suffix
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking for a sed that does not truncate output...
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking how to recognise dependant libraries... pass_all
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 32768
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object... ok
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking if gcc static flag  works... no
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking whether to build static libraries... no
configure: creating libtool
appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking for g++ option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if g++ PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
appending configuration tag "GCJ" to libtool
checking if gcj supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... (cached) no
checking for gcj option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcj PIC flag -fPIC works... no
checking if gcj supports -c -o file.o... no
checking whether the gcj linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
checking for strlcat... no
checking if strlcat needs custom prototype... yes - in libkdefakes
checking for strlcpy... no
checking if strlcpy needs custom prototype... yes - in libkdefakes
checking for main in -lutil... yes
checking for main in -lcompat... no
checking for crypt in -lcrypt... yes
checking for socklen_t... socklen_t
checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet... no
checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet_stub... no
checking for inet_ntoa... yes
checking for connect... yes
checking for remove... yes
checking for shmat... yes
checking crt_externs.h usability... no
checking crt_externs.h presence... no
checking for crt_externs.h... no
checking for _NSGetEnviron... no
checking for sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking for stdint.h... (cached) yes
checking for poll in -lpoll... no
checking CoreAudio/CoreAudio.h usability... no
checking CoreAudio/CoreAudio.h presence... no
checking for CoreAudio/CoreAudio.h... no
checking if res_init needs -lresolv... yes
checking if res_init is available... yes
checking for killpg in -lucb... no
checking for int... yes
checking size of int... 4
checking for long... yes
checking size of long... 4
checking for char *... yes
checking size of char *... 4
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking for shl_unload in -ldld... no
checking for size_t... yes
checking size of size_t... 4
checking for unsigned long... yes
checking size of unsigned long... 4
checking sizeof size_t == sizeof unsigned long... yes
checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking for snprintf... yes
checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking for libXext... yes
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
checking for extra includes... no
checking for extra libs... no
checking for libz... -lz
checking for libpng... -lpng -lz -lm
checking for libjpeg6b... no
checking for libjpeg... -ljpeg
checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.1 (20021021)) (headers and libraries) not found. Please check your installation!
For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.
[stephanos at Laptop kooka-0.40]$

I looked in config.log but my lack of knowledge is a hindrance.

Was I in the wrong directory ?
How do I know which directory has the "package's source code" ?

The content of the directory I was in ($HOME/kooka-0.40) is reproduced below.

[stephanos at Laptop kooka-0.40]$ ls
acinclude.m4  autom4te.cache/  configure*       COPYING  libkscan/       Makefile.in  subdirs
aclocal.m4    ChangeLog        configure.files  doc/     libtool*        po/
admin/        config.h.in      configure.in     INSTALL  Makefile.am     README
AUTHORS       config.log       configure.in.in  kooka/   Makefile.am.in  stamp-h.in

Any help appreciated

Stephen (Swansea, Wales, UK)

P.S.  Below is the end of the config.log file

## ----------- ##
## confdefs.h. ##
## ----------- ##

#define PACKAGE_NAME ""