[SWLUG] SME Linux and RAID

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 30 02:30:53 UTC 2003

I'm having a right difficult time trying to get SME
Linux installed correctly.

I'm using a system with the following configuration:

2 x Maxtor Fireball 3 drives on an Ultra ATA/133 RAID
Controller (Shuttle AK32A Main board)

I have SME Linux 5.6 (same as on Linux Format this
month).

I installed it (setting it for soft RAID) then
realised I had everything on a hard-raid card. Thus, I
reinstalled. OOps. It worked on soft-raid (even the
raid card appeared to work). Now I can't get the thing
to sneeze. Linux seems to be installed individually on
each HDD but they won't work on the RAID card. How
does one format the disk under SME Linux (I'm not in
command line mode. Haven't seen one of those anywhere
in SME). Once I can format then I can format both
drives and start afresh.

Oh yes... just to make life complicated, the system
does not have a floppy drive - merely a CD Rom.

Any ideas, anybody?