[SWLUG] Re: Discuss digest, Vol 1 #258 - 1 msg

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Tue May 13 12:50:40 UTC 2003

I've had a look at the sites describing Baysean filters but am a bit
stumped - they seem to cackle about them instead of getting down to the horses. Can somebody correct my understanding of them if it's wrong:

As I understand it, Baysean filters combine three lists. List A is a list of
words to ignore (these are grammatical words such as personal pronouns, conjunctions, possessive pronouns, demonstrative pronouns etc). List B is a list of the words found in spam mails. List C is words found in normal mails.

Incoming emails are checked against list C. If there're too many words found in the list, it's declared to be spam. (here, my understanding falters a bit).

Can anybody shed light on this interesting topic?

Rhys