[SWLUG] Installing RH via NFS

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Fri May 16 15:35:56 UTC 2003

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 04:14:20PM +0100 or thereabouts, Dick Porter wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 13:32, Gareth James Powell wrote:
> >  Hiya all,
> >          This is my first post to this list (and you guessed it!) its about a problem, or
> > rather a log of my lack of progress to date. :(
> >
> >  I am trying to install RedHat 5.0 on my ageing Toshiba Libretto 50 (with its strange
> > PCMCIA floppy drive) via an NFS mount using a plip connection from my main box that runs
> > SuSe 8.0.
>
> Why are you installing a distribution from 1999?  If it's because
> anything newer from redhat refuses to install on such an ageing machine,
> why not use something like debian?

Wasn't the problem with many Librettos the PCMCIA weirdness rather
than anything else? Although yes, I would have said a recent Debian
rather than RH 5.0!

I think you can get much more recent RHs onto small machines,
but it tends to involve a lot of messing about. Somewhere I
think I have emails or bookmarks about Librettos. I shall try
to dig them out.

Telsa