[SWLUG] Apache 2 problem

Terry John terry.john at bbc.co.uk
Tue May 20 15:37:33 UTC 2003

I'm helping develop a website and to make things a bit easier I copied the
info to a Redhat 7.1 box at home using the supplied Apache 1.3. It worked
perfectly using my usual Browser Opera on Win95 across a bit of thin
ethernet.

Getting all keen I upgraded to Redhat 8.0, and with it Apache 2. It took a
little while but it happily runs my php pages (.phtml suffix) but there is a
problem. To get to the members page you need to supply a username & password
then the username is registered in a cookie using the php session commands.
Once logged in you are free to move around the site and each page should
give your username and site credits.

The problem is that the browser seems to use cached pages so if you go to a
previously visited page you just get the old information. The login page is
the same page as the members' main page if you try to back to it after a
login you just get the login page as if you hadn't logged in. Worse still
the logout page is the main index page with a Logout=1 parameter but since
the browser doesn't get the main page and uses the cache instead the logout
doesn't happen.

Even more confusing is that Netscape 7 works perfectly and looking at the
/etc/httpd/logs/access_log both browsers seem to be requesting the same
information. I'm guessing that Opera is doing something like "Get page if
newer" but it doesn't realise it is a server parsed php page and so should
get new every time. Is there something in the Apache config I'm missing
somewhere?

Both Opera 6.05 and the latest one behave in the same way. I'll try IE if I
remember later :-)

Terry

BBCi at http://www.bbc.co.uk/

stated.