[SWLUG] Linux newbie, again!

Lyn David Thomas lyn at cibwr.freeserve.co.uk
Thu May 22 20:40:11 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 12:40, Davage, Marcus wrote:
> I've been using Mandrake since 7.1. I'm on 9.1 now, and I think it's great.
> (Although the upgrade path does lose many settings in the process. I now
> find that I can't access any windows drive mounts from anything other than
> root. Hey ho. Looks like I'll have to rummage around groups, owners and
> mount points.)
>
> Marcus

Ah that explains a great deal..... having said that my copy (bought and
paid for) doesn't seem to have Evolution on it.  The edition on Linux
format seems to have a problem with OpenOffice.org... and I can't access
windows drives at all (can't get logged on as root - only seems to allow
me logging on as user).  But then I really am a newbie, Currently happy
with Mandrake 9.00.  I suspect next time I upgrade I may try Debian,
though downloading stuff off the net with dial up seems a bit of a non
starter so its off to the Linux Emporium next month to by the full
Debian set.

On a different subject, how are the plans for the install/awareness day
going?
--
\/ Website starts at:
http://www/cibwr.freeserve.co.uk