[SWLUG] Re: 'windows lusers' or 'marketing droids'

Gareth Bowker bowkerg at teccon.co.uk
Tue May 27 08:39:15 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 17:08, Rhys Sage wrote:
> > You can always download a copy of AberMUD, the
> > system Alan wrote many
> > moons ago, just do a quick search for it, its pretty
> > famous.
>
> Well, I looked for aberMUD. I found the manual but not the mud. I did
> however find a nice-looking game where you peddle drugs and shoot policemen.
> Sounds so antisocial it might even be fun.

http://www.google.com/search?q=abermud+source

Try the first link.

> > To test if you have the C compiler installed, just
> > type 'cc' in a
> > command prompt. If it says something like 'cc: no
> > input files' then you
> > have a standard C compiler installed. ditto typing
> > 'c++'
>
> Last login: Sun May 18 01:09:41 2003 from pc-00011
> Welcome to the Mitel Networks SME Server.
> [root at zeus root]# cc
> bash: cc: command not found

The compilers should be on the install CD. Depending on how packages are
installed on SME Linux, take a look for GCC.

> [root at zeus root]# C++
> bash: C++: command not found

Linux is case-sensitive.

> [root at zeus root]#
>
> > > 2. Does anybody know of any vacancies for
> > Delphi/C++
> > > programmers/PC technicians?
> > Theres always low paying jobs for windows
> > 'programmers' in delphi or vb,
> > it seems to tbe the predominant job on offer around
> > here, you just arent
> > looking very hard i guess.
>
> I presume "here" is in Cardiff? I look in Swansea and can't find anything at
> all. The best I've seen for weeks was one working with Shelter Cymru as a PC
> Technician. I don't mind that as long as I don't have to fix PCs when there
> are stinky tramps around. Could you let me know what you mean by low-paying
> and where programming jibs might be? It's very spartan here.

Justin lives in Swansea. Where have you actually tried looking for jobs?
There's no point us listing loads of job sites etc if you've already
looked at them :) Having said that, my parents (both Windows
programmers) seem to get a lot of stuff through JobServe.

Gareth
--
| Gareth Bowker           | <bowkerg at teccon.co.uk> |
| Software Engineer       | http://www.thetcl.com/ |