[SWLUG] disposal of dead kit

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Sat Nov 1 10:01:10 UTC 2003

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 09:31:22PM +0000 or thereabouts, bascule wrote:
> despite reading of the dangers of old electronic kit in landfill
> sites i know of no alternative to taking my dead monitor to the
> council skip, before i do does anyone know of any better alternative?

For a good laugh, try ringing the council and asking about
recycling facilities. I am probably on a list of nuisance
callers by now, the number of times I have rung to ask about
correct disposal of things: these have ranged from broken
glass to batteries to furniture made before the rules about
flammable fabrics. (In order: won't take; no facilities; will
take but you have to put them out before 6.00am and no, not the
night before.)

The bin vans now say "Waste and recycling department" on them,
which they didn't when I made most of these phone calls. You
never know: you might have some luck.

More seriously, there _are_ groups who take old equipment.
I have some URLs somewhere. I shall look them out.

Telsa