[SWLUG] *blush*

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Thu Nov 13 09:54:36 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 22:05, Rhys Sage wrote:

> The second problem was that my gigabyte board was a
> little fussy about where my drives were.
Windows has always been fussy about this, until recently (at least i
assume theyve fixed it) it used to insist on being the first primary fat
partition on the master disk of the first controller.

> Well, I have now put HDA as PM. Now I can't run Linux
> until I get another caddy to put HDB in as SM. HDC
> won't get used until XP is stable as I need to
> transfer my old W98 files via my new PC to my server
> (SME).
Use the rescue mode of your install cd's, at least i would hope all
major distributions have something like a rescue mode these days.

Which will boot your system in a way that you can edit your files.

Then all you should need to do is correct the entries in your bootloader
program, and maybe install a new MBR. (itll all be in the docs)
It may be worth also checking in /etc/fstab and updating any references
in there that are also now wrong.

> The plan with my new PC is fairly complex - it'll be a
> dual use system (maybe more) with removable drives
> (hence the caddies) so I can use Linux and Windows,
> possibly BeOs too simply by taking one set of drives
> out and replacing them with another. The plan does not
> end there, however. While my PC currently has an
> LS-120 (remember them from King Harold's days?) and
> the usual drive quota, there's room for HDD 2 in a
> caddy and for a DVD too.
You dont really need all that fiddling about with drive caddys, your
linux bootloader program (eg GRUB) should be able to boot all of those
different OSes for you from fixed disks.

> I quite like Mandrake although some of the programs
> seem to have some bugs. Maybe those "bugs" are
> associated with the wrong location too?
Never used it myself, but istr it was often mentioned that Mandrake
consisted of all the latest bleeding edge versions of software, so you
got the latest toys and features but that often came at the price of
them not having been so well tested.