[SWLUG] Re: Problems Recording Sound

Edward Evans eje at edevans.uklinux.net
Mon Oct 27 20:57:38 UTC 2003

Can anyone help me on this one?

I'm trying to record sound using the built in sound on an Asus P5A
motherboard.  The sound "card" is ESS Solo-1, using ES1969 chip.  lsmod
shows esssolo1 module is loaded, (I'm using Debian 3.0 without ALSA).  I
can play a CD throught it and "cat ... > /dev/audio" a sound file
through it OK, but when I try to record a sound (using dd ...
</dev/audio or using gramofile) I get an error:

solo1:  cannot start recording, DDMA mask bit stuck at 1.

I'm completely lost.  Is this a problem between the driver and the card,
or is something else messing up DMA so the driver can't get started?
How do I find out?  And what can I do about it?

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Edward