[SWLUG] Windows XP

Dafydd Harries daf at muse.19inch.net
Wed Apr 14 14:43:20 UTC 2004

Ar 14/04/2004 am 12:35, ysgrifennodd Steve Anderson:
> Most likely the whole drive is taken up with a single NTFS partition for
> XP, and, depending on the make of laptop, a hidden 'recovery' partition
> to stop people from having access to a real, tangible disc for backup
> which they might pass out among friends. This is the way with modern
> laptops, sadly.

I think part of it is preventing piracy, but another part of it is
laziness.

I have a Thinkpad that came with a hidden recovery partition. A friend
of mine with a similar model phoned up IBM and they were happy to send
him a CD, no fuss.

The BIOS let me unhide the partition, so I did and got rid of it. I
hardly have a need for a Windows XP backup, and it means 4GiB or so of
extra space on the disk.

--
Dafydd