[SWLUG] cheap laser printers ??

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Fri Apr 23 10:21:25 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 10:27, Gareth Lewis wrote:

> It seems that remanufactured carts appear in an number only after about a year of that particular model existing, since it's only then that a good supply of spend carts exist.  Also, it seems that, at the cheap (low paper volume) end of the market, only HP carts are easily available.

There are plenty of sites that sell toner refills too, so you dont
necessarily need an exact toner cart match.

> So, maybe I should go for a HP laser jet.
Well i stand by one of my previous suggestions of brother lasers.
Brother HL-1430 £123 inv vat from dabs.com
official large capacity (6000 page) toner carts are £48
but i have seen refurbed ones for £30, and refills for £15
http://www.refilltoner.com/MachineProductsNS.asp?id=HL1240&manu=Brother&mach=HL%2D+1430+%2F+1440+%2F+1450+%2F+1470N

there seems to be some dispute over wether the 1430 supports PCL or not,
it seems the latest version might not, but in either case it is still
fully supported by drivers in linux.
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Brother-HL-1430

We have a HL-1440 printer in SUCS (the student computer society), that
gets rather a lot of use (its free to members) but has only had one
replacement toner cartridge in the last 2 years, and that was a recycled
one.