[SWLUG] New disk won't mount help please!

linlist2 at nwjones.demon.co.uk linlist2 at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 27 17:43:19 UTC 2004

This is the second time I'm trying this Demon's !"£$%^& Webmail system doesn't !£$%^^* work properly!

I have installed a new 40GB hard disk on my system. This is in addition to the existing 2 disks of 20 GB each. One with Windoze 98 on it.

Fdisk worked beautifully. Single partition set up.
Mkfs set it up as a ext2.

I altered /etc/fstab to contain the line

/dev/hdc1 /mnt/hdc1 ext2 default 2 1

I altered mtab to contain a line that looked like the one for the windows partition but with the right filing system in it.

It won't mount even after a reboot.

I get a message saying the mount point is missing.

What is wrong? How do I fix it?

Neil Jones
Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk