[SWLUG] Getting old machine working

linlist2 at nwjones.demon.co.uk linlist2 at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 7 12:25:46 UTC 2004

My current desktop is not working. I don't really know what is wrong and it is old and pr0bably beyond economic repair (800 mhz). It beeps contuniaully on swithc on. REplaced battery no effect.

I have an older machine 200 mhz which I may want to press into service.

If I take the linux disk out of my current non-functioning machine and put it into my old machine what problems may I encounter. Alan suggested since the processor may be different ( it is I believe an old Cyrix chip I may need to do something to the kernel.)

I may want to look at getting an second hand machine via ebay.

Ancy advice on swapping disks around machines would be welcome.

Current non- functioning mahcine 3 hds
 1 windows
and 2 others running SUSE 9.

Neil