[SWLUG] Getting old machine working

Julian Hall linux at kaotic.co.uk
Tue Dec 7 15:18:19 UTC 2004

linlist2 at nwjones.demon.co.uk wrote:

>My current desktop is not working. I don't really know what is wrong and it is old and pr0bably beyond economic repair (800 mhz). It beeps contuniaully on swithc on. REplaced battery no effect.
>
>I have an older machine 200 mhz which I may want to press into service.
>
>If I take the linux disk out of my current non-functioning machine and put it into my old machine what problems may I encounter. Alan suggested since the processor may be different ( it is I believe an old Cyrix chip I may need to do something to the kernel.)
>
>I may want to look at getting an second hand machine via ebay.
>
>Ancy advice on swapping disks around machines would be welcome.
>
>Current non- functioning mahcine 3 hds
> 1 windows
>and 2 others running SUSE 9.

The beeps will either be:

a) CPU
b) Memory
c) Graphics card.

I would be inclined (assuming there is more than one stick of RAM in the
box) to open it and swap single sticks to see if it boots.  If it does
you've identified the bad one and still have a working machine.  If that
doesn't work try swapping out the graphics card, then the CPU (if you
have a spare one that is compatible with the board).

Someone else has suggested checking on the Internet for the BIOS beep
codes for the board, a very good idea.

Kind regards,

Julian