[SWLUG] particular screen savers

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Sat Dec 11 11:40:14 UTC 2004

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 10:50:57AM +0000 or thereabouts, STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU wrote:
> Dear All
> ..... and thanks to those who replied
> Now I know the screen saver I want still exists in Linux land, but
> in a different distro to the one I am using, can anyone say if it
> is installable onto my Mandrake 10, if someone were to send it to me?

Initially, I started to reply like this:

 Are you sure that it does not exist on Mandrake? Have you tried
 "locate slidescreen"? On my Fedora machine, the screensavers live
 in /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver/ and there is a slidescreen there.

 Or have Mandrake removed all the screensavers which start off with an
 image of the desktop? As a privacy measure, perhaps? Is "spotlight"
 gone, too? That's another which starts off with a picture of the
 background.

Then I did a bit of Googling. Do Mandrake actually use xscreensaver?
Reading forums on the web, I find several mentions of "don't use the
KDE screensavers; use the xscreensaver-provided ones". I have absolutely
no idea what they are talking about. But, to check, what does
"rpm -q xscreensaver" show? If it shows that you have the rpm, what
about "rpm -ql xscreensaver | grep slideshow" ?

The stuff on the web forums sounds odd to me, but they are talking
as if Mandrake ships something completely different.

Telsa