[SWLUG] Connecting multiple PCs

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 12:52:07 UTC 2004

I gather there's some other gizmo available for
connecting multiple PCs to a server than a hub.

My situation is that I can run either two LAN cards or
1 LAN card and a modem on my server. I really need now
to run 3 LAN cards. Is there a solution that does not
involve a hub?

My dislike of hubs stems from the fact that the host
line might be 100Mbps but each of the slaves is
limited to 10Mbps. What I'd like to do is to run 3 x
100Mbps lines.

I might consider changing from SME to Mandrake if it's
secure and can be used as a non-GUI mode.

Incidentally, having upgraded my old P166 PC by
changing the CPU over to a K6 400, that's now coming
back to life under Mandrake as my mum's PC. (it was
either put NT4 - which she's not used to - or Mandrake
- which she's also not used to - onto the system.
She's been doing a PC course in Swansea uni, learning
on Windows 98).

I have used Mandrake as a desktop and found it quite
pleasant. Not quite as nice to use as XP but not bad.
How does it handle as a server?

My plan now that there will be multiple PCs in use is
to network the 2 main PCs through the server - which
will handle dial-up, printers and supplamentary
storage. Obviously, it'll have to be ultra secure and
work well within the confines of limited Linux
knowledge.

Rhys