[SWLUG] AMD K6 450

Bryn Reeves hagbard at nildram.co.uk
Sun Feb 8 12:16:52 UTC 2004

On 23:35 Sat 07 Feb     , Peter Joseph wrote:
> I can only honestly suggest Ebay etc, that kind of hardware certainly
> isnt available new. I doubt that your Ebay problems
> are intentional, more a case of people selling of surplus hardware and
> not testing it before dispatch :D
>
> You might try computer fairs that you often see about the place on
> Sundays..they sell all kinds of stuff new and old at that sort of thing!

Agreed. These days, unless you (or a friend) have the old hardware
immediately to hand, newer kit is going to be a lot less hassle. For jobs
not needing lots of computing crunch I've used a few via mini-itx boards,
the basic model (600Mhz CPU, fanless) is under a hundred quid, with CPU.
All it needs is memory and a drive, they're even cheaper if you can get to
a computer fair.. Or failing that, lots of mates have had very good deals
on resonable spec PII/III machines from ebay.

Mates have also found these guys very reliable (nice servers too!):
http://www.chuckaduck.co.uk/

and a Via EPIA mobo on ebay, bidding at 30 quid:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3458868768&category=1244

Cheers

Bryn