[SWLUG] Re: K6 + Carmarthen

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Tue Feb 10 15:08:36 UTC 2004

Afternoon All...

Rhys Sage wrote:

> At the moment I've got the old PC working with the
> original P166. It seems to work well enough under
> Windows 98. I did hear tell there was a lightweight
> GUI interface I could use instead of KDE which would
> speed Mandrake up a lot. Alternatively, I could run a
> different Linux distribution. Are there any with a GUI
> interface that would run well on a P166. I gather
> Mandrake 9 used to but 9.1 onwards does not.

There's a plethora of lightweight Window Managers you could try. My
friend swears by FluxBox, I'm a fan of XFce4 which is a teensy bit
heavier but feels rather nice as an integrated environment. Had XFce
running on a PII 233 (and will do again once it becomes my office
jukebox), I imagine it'll be happy enough on a P166. There are lighter
desktops but XFce to me feels more like something to use permanently -
not wishing to be flamed, but I never got on with FluxBox that much.

www.xfce.org, there'll probably be an RPM there you can use - otherwise
use rpmfind or something. I've been converted to Debian so I just
apt-get install it from the unstable branch =)

BTW, had a K6-2 500 in a PC I was barely using that you could've had, if
I hadn't blown it while testing components from my old man's PC. He had
a power surge, blew his PSU and took out all the hardware connected to
it. Foolishly try and get data off his hard drive and the mere act of
connecting killed my K6-2. Wouldn't have minded if it hadn't also killed
an old PII 433 I had as well. Not a good weekend for PCs in the Anderson
household. At least Mrs Anderson has conceded that I can get a Mini-ITX
box to make up for computer death =)

Later

Steve