[SWLUG] mount options

bascule asura at theexcession.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 11:19:09 UTC 2004

since as a user i can't mount files via loopback i have written a one liner to
be run via sudo,
while reading around i came across a consensus that allowing users to mount
anything not explicitly defined in the fstab is a badthing(tm),
given that there may be setuid, dev files etc, i understand that but i'm
assuming that putting all the nosuid etc stuff in the oneliner and making it
only read/write by root i mostly obviate this risk? as a user i can only
mount a file with the options listed in the root script and i can't edit that
script.
now since i'm the only one with access to my machine i'm not too worried that
i might compromise my own computer but it doesnt' pay to be too complacent,
anyone see anything risky about this?

bascule

On Tuesday 24 Feb 2004 9:50 am, Bryn Reeves wrote:

> I did wonder if using -ouid=XXX,user and mounting something as root would
> then allow the specified user to umount the fs, but I tried that and it
> doesn't work.
>
> Perhaps the documentation could be a bit clearer on this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bryn.

"I thought jet planes were just trucks with more wings and less wheels."
(Wings)