[SWLUG] Matrox FB problems....

T.J.Shapcott at cs.cardiff.ac.uk T.J.Shapcott at cs.cardiff.ac.uk
Thu Feb 26 11:01:15 UTC 2004

Quoting Gareth Bowker <tgb at tgb.org.uk>:

> On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 18:05, Tim Shapcott wrote:
> > I have been having problems with my framebuffer console....
> >
> > The problem is, it will only run at 640 x 480, no matter what vga options I
>
> > set in lilo. Also, I get a big white bar at the top of the screen next to
> Tux
> > during bootup, which then disappears. I have tried all manner of different
>
> > options in kernel config.
>
> IIRC, the vga options only relate to non-fb modes. Try using fbset to
> set your framebuffer up instead. "man fbset" should give you all the
> info you need.

I don't think so... On these other machines that I have it working on, changing
the vga option in lilo changes the fb res. I have used fbset in the past, but
I'm always a bit wary of modelines etc.... I'm scared of destroying my 19"
Mitsubishi. If I could get fbset working ok, is there any way of getting it to
run at bootup so I get a nice resolution console during boot?

Tim