[SWLUG] First real post

Philip Downer phil at pjd.me.uk
Sun Feb 29 18:04:09 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-29 at 14:00, Daniel T. Morgan wrote:
> Now somebody tells me I need to recompile the kernel, now this has always
> been the dead end I reach with nix, I am absolutely lost with where to go
> now. There a nice thing I can read to learn about compiling the kernel for
> idiots, and/or when and if I can, is this necessary, and what exactly do I
> need to do/add to the kernel.

No, you probably just need a newer version of the standard debian kernel
image which has most things compiled in already, if you do the following
in a terminal

'uname -a'

you'll probably see something like this:

'Linux wormbaby 2.4.23 #6 Thu Dec 11 22:42:30 GMT 2003 i686 GNU/Linux'

except you'll probably see 2.2.21 or something similar, so you just need
a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel, do:

'apt-cache search kernel-image'

and look through the list for a suitable kernel, my machine is an AMD
Athlon so I'd use kernel-image-2.6-k7. Once you have used apt-get to
install the kernel just reboot and try iptables again.

Phil