[SWLUG] Advice on upgrading Linux

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Jan 4 14:29:28 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 01:49:06PM +0000 or thereabouts, linlist2 at nwjones.demon.co.uk wrote:
> I am about to take the plunge and upgrade to Fedora. I have a magazine DVD.
>
> I have a twin disk system one with windows the other with RH 7.2.
> My Linux disk is partitioned with separate partitions for things like home.
>
> I plan to copy some chunks from my home directory onto the Windose
> disk as a back up. Anything else I should save?

  * /var/spool/mail/username (or you lose mail you didn't save to somewhere)

  * Parts of /etc are often worth keeping around: XF86Config, ppp
    settings, resolv.conf and so on.

/var/spool/mail/ , /etc and /home are the bits I back up. The
rest can look after itself, as far as I am concerned. In general,
as well as pre-upgrade.

> Any other hints would be very welcome particularly as to how I
> avoid wiping data during the upgrade. If anyone needs to send me
> personal email replies please either reply to the address in this
> email or better send it to neil<at> butterflyguy.com

I have not done a 7.2->Fedora update, but I have done most of
the stages in between (7.2->7.3->8.0->9.0->Fedora.) I haven't
lost anything vital. Things I do remember:

  * Font handling changes. You'll acquire fontconfig.
  * Gnome is hugely different. It's supposed to be easier.
  * Probably ditto for KDE.
  * Gnome and KDE both set up by default to behave the same and
  have the same menus.
  * Printing setup becomes CUPS, no choice about it, on Fedora. There
  is some sort of tool which migrates settings to CUPS, but it didn't
  work perfectly for me.
  * Move to UTF-8-based filenames and locales. If you have filenames
  which used anything beyond ASCII in the names you'll see ? marks in
  them (but they still work and so on). I think most people weren't
  stupid enough to try to be clever with non-ascii filenames. Unlike
  me. I have an app which will correct filenames if you need it. (For
  contents, you use iconv.)
  * I think the root directory for apache moved around.

Bah, just grab the release notes for 7.3, 8, 9 and Fedora: it's
quicker than my memory.

I did not lose any data, and I just do upgrades rather than
reinstalling and putting /home back where it is. Actually, I
did one fresh install and putting /home back. And I still
didn't lose anything.

Can't speak for its behaviour towards Windows: never needed to
know here!

Telsa