[SWLUG] LVM setup

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Mon Jan 12 17:01:34 UTC 2004

Evening all.

I'm going to be installing Gentoo Linux on one of my PCs and want to use
LVM to make things a little more flexible. I've previously only
installed Red Hat 9 which did a good job of hand-holding in the disk
setup arena but Gentoo slings you in at the deep end with no such
niceness - which is actually what I want to experience now I'm having to
sysadmin two boxes at work now.

Anyway, I'd anyone got any advice as to how to set it up with LVM? I've
got a 60Gb drive it's going on, and from what I know it's (practically)
essential to leave /boot outside the LVM management. I've also heard
that / should be outside LVM control on one forum, but seen it
contradicted elsewhere. The reason I want to use LVM is so that I can
chop and change the partition sizes (especially /home) - what would be
the best distribution of mount points over partitions? And what should I
do with the swap?

The box is going to be a dogsbody box at home - possibly with a mail
server, definitely with a webserver, so /usr and /var (I think - still a
n00b) are obvious candidates for seperation, but what about anything else?

Cheers

Steve