[SWLUG] thoughts on mydoom

Peter Joseph kneecaps at shockpulse.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 06:34:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 02:25, Lee Westlake wrote:

> 1) Inhibit software functionality, by removing the users ability to
> "deliberately CHOOSE to run attachments arriving in their recent email".
> 2) Educate users.
>
> Take your pick!
>
> There is little debate here, as this is not a linux specific issue.

I have to agree! The main difference is..if a user runs an malicious
e-mail attachment in an OS such as Windows..there is practically no
limit to the damage it can do...total HDD format if it wants :D

At least you know in linux a user can only trash their own stuff and not
really touch the system!

Peter

--
Peter Joseph   598454F1                      Debian GNU/Linux Maintainer
kneecaps at shockpulse.co.uk                          kneecaps at debian.org