[SWLUG] Microsoft Vs. Linux Celtic Manor July 7th - anybody going?

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Thu Jul 1 09:09:47 UTC 2004

Peter Joseph wrote:
> Oh come on! Don't tell me I'm going to be the only person flying the
> flag! :( wouldn't a SWLUG presence be useful at something like this?

I'd love to go along, but I've got the following week off work and they
won't let me have another day off in such close proximity. (Especially
given I'm setting up a Linux-based file server next week... nice timing
huh?)

Please please PLEASE, somebody raise the issue of Microsoft building up
a patent portfolio as a dubiously legal way of destroying free (as in
beer, as well as in speech) competition. There's no doubt that this is
the only weapon that they can brandish in the future against the
movement. Anyone who wants to raise the danger of the ability of
patenting an idea without an actual piece of physical tangible
technology would also be a hero.

Steve