[SWLUG] tweaking for sound performance

philicorda philicorda at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 12 14:08:26 UTC 2004

The best performing mp3 player is mplayer as far as I know.
Even though it's really a movie player, it is almost twice as fast as
mpg321, mpg123 and xmms in my experience.
My p166mmx 24mb ram laptop can play any mp3 and I can do other things at
the same time without problems.
This may be because it uses mmx, which your amd 586 might not have...
even so it's worth a try as if you compile mplayer from source the
configure optimises the build for your processor.

Also... try fiddling with buffer sizes. The larger the buffer, the less
interrupts, and the less work the computer has to do. This can make a
big difference.
Also, if you use mplayer, try various -ao output settings like oss,
alsa9, SDL etc and see which is the most efficient.
Good luck.