[SWLUG] How do I find the reason for a website refusing to connect

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Mon Jul 19 11:39:32 UTC 2004

Neil Jones wrote:

> Any ideas what could be causing this and what if any diagnostic tools I could
> simply use from this end to find out what is the matter.

No idea what could be causing it bar the obvious - it's not accepting
connections for some reason. The first thing to do is try connecting to
it with a telnet client to port 80, as follows...

$ telnet www.whatever.com 80

You should get a bit of a basic greeting from the server, if it's
accepting connections. If nothing then the server really IS refusing
connections. If you connect to it, try typing 'GET /' without the
quotes, and you should get the default page of the default site on that
server - for example, doing that on twindx.com gets the default site for
jupiter.phpwebhosting.com - because you've not given the server any
information about the address you've typed in (cos you haven't).

Try giving that a whirl, and see if you get anywhere.

Steve