[SWLUG] Printing

Tony Pursell tony at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Jul 25 15:18:35 UTC 2004

Thanks for all your help everyone - in the end it's come down to the setting
in the BIOS - I changed it from Automatic to Enabled and that did the trick.
Linux can now see my parallel port.

> Have a look (lsmod) if the parport and lp kernel modules have been
> loaded,

For the record, this is what lsmod gives now:

Module                  Size  Used by
natsemi                10400   1
pci-scan                3580   1  [natsemi]
slhc                    4336   0  (unused)
parport_pc              7276   1  (autoclean)
lp                      4580   0
parport                 6676   1  [parport_pc lp]
af_packet               6136   1

>  i wouldnt recommend trying to set that up
> manually, your system should have come with a printer config tool which
> will setup up the printer queue and filters correctly.
>
> i have no idea what debian call their tool. redhat called theirs
> redhat-config-printer-gui.

Of course I now have got it all to do to get printing configured.  So if
anyone can tell me what Debian has for printer config, I would be grateful.
I'm looking at http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO/ which seems to recommend
CUPS.  It tells me that support for my HP Deskjet 610C is good.  But Debian
has a bewildering array of packages supporting CUPS.  I don't want be
randomly apt-getting packages which I then cannot configure and use.  So some
Debian specific pointers would be helpful.