[SWLUG] suse 9.1 yast must die

Gareth Lewis Gareth.Lewis at patent.gov.uk
Wed Jun 2 09:02:12 UTC 2004

<rant severity="mild">

Hi all,

I've installed suse 9.1 (on the second attempt, first time i ran out of space 'cause the installer lied) but it's not being very nice to me.

My current problem is getting a dial-up working with the suse firewall.  why the hell it doesn't out-of-the-box is a mystery.  Anyhow,  after hacking about with groups / suid permissions and adding a few (missing) pppd config files from my suse 7.3 set up,  I got pppd + kppp working.  BUT if the firewall is active, I get next to no packets moving about.  the /var/log/warn file then fills up with stuff about 'critical dropped packets'  which I don't understand.

So,  it seems that a YAST configured SUSE firewall 2 is either broken or, something is confusing YAST (i do have a network card in the machine which is unconnected at the moment OR I need to grab all the updates from SUSE and hope it fixes itself.  hope this isn't  a problem with the kernel.

YAST fibbs a lot and seems to be more annoying that on 7.3 (or did I just stop using it ?).   The installer even got confused between whether I was trying to install extra 32bit or 64bit rpms last night after I put the DVD in with the '64bit side up' first and I guess it grabbed the wrong list of rpms.

This is the third suse distro I've installed (6.4, 7.3 , now 9.1)  and has been the most annoying.  this is even with it having the best hardware detection of the lot.

anyone got any tips for the suse firewall ?     It looks like i'm going to have to try and hack the config files by hand.

toodle pip,

Gareth.

</rant>