[SWLUG] Re: UPS etc

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 13 14:29:08 UTC 2004

For my use, I'll be running an LCD monitor (from its
transformer), a dual-supply PC with 2 HDD, 3.5, LS120,
DVD, CD, card reader, cordless mouse and external
modem.

I'd estimate that the battery should last the 5
minutes needed to close everything and shut the system
down. Really, what I get is occasional 1 second
powercuts. That's enought to make XP throw a wobbly. I
haven't had the problem with 98 as it seems more
robust. I haven't a clue how SME Server will handle a
power loss. My guess is it'll be more robust than
Windows.

At the moment, the plan is to protect the xp machine.
If at a later stage, I need to protect the others too
then I may have to think bigger.

It would be interesting, since everything inside a PC
runs at a low voltage, as do LCD monitors, to see an
extra power input for low voltage supplies so that a
UPS could be plugged directly in order to save the
power loss from inverting the battery supply before
reducing it through a transformer to get back to the
same basic voltage again.

Rhys