[SWLUG] Installation question

Thomas Adam thomas_adam at bonbon.net
Sun Jun 27 22:56:50 UTC 2004

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:42:40 +0100
"Peter (dsl)" <apvx95 at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> Sorry Thomas, I just don't see how I can do this.  I just stick the
> DVD in the drive and it comes up with a menu.  There's nothing to edit
> and no file system yet on my HDD.

SuSE 8.2 uses GRUB (yeech) -- so at that 'menu', IIRC you should be able
to press 'F' having highlighted the appropriate option, in which to add
the exra parameter. I don't like GRUB in favour of Lilo, so I might very
well be wrong on this point.

> > You're not being at all dense, Peter.
>
> Are you sure?  :)

Yes. :)

> I think there is a text only install option from the menu.  Maybe I
> should try that.  Anyway, it's late and my wife wants to get some

Yes, I would. You certainly don't need a graphical installer. And I'll
take a cheap plug at this point and ask why you don't try Debian. :)

> sleep, so I'll try it tomorrow evening.  Any ideas about how I can
> configure the monitor settings properly (I mean like, how do I know
> what to set them to and stuff)?

This can be worked on after you install. :)

> Oh, and I realise now where the other post came from!  Sorry about
> that.

No worries.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"Annie Hall leaves New York in the end. Press rewind, and Woody gets her
back again." -- "Look Inside America", Blur.