[SWLUG] Installation question

Peter (dsl) apvx95 at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Jun 28 17:42:36 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Adam" <thomas_adam at bonbon.net>
To: <discuss at swlug.org.uk>
Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2004 11:56 PM
Subject: Re: [SWLUG] Installation question

> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:42:40 +0100
> "Peter (dsl)" <apvx95 at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
> > Sorry Thomas, I just don't see how I can do this.  I just stick the
> > DVD in the drive and it comes up with a menu.  There's nothing to edit
> > and no file system yet on my HDD.
>
> SuSE 8.2 uses GRUB (yeech) -- so at that 'menu', IIRC you should be able
> to press 'F' having highlighted the appropriate option, in which to add
> the exra parameter. I don't like GRUB in favour of Lilo, so I might very
> well be wrong on this point.
>
> > > You're not being at all dense, Peter.
> >
> > Are you sure?  :)
>
> Yes. :)
>
> > I think there is a text only install option from the menu.  Maybe I
> > should try that.  Anyway, it's late and my wife wants to get some
>
> Yes, I would. You certainly don't need a graphical installer. And I'll
> take a cheap plug at this point and ask why you don't try Debian. :)
>
> > sleep, so I'll try it tomorrow evening.  Any ideas about how I can
> > configure the monitor settings properly (I mean like, how do I know
> > what to set them to and stuff)?
>
> This can be worked on after you install. :)
>
> > Oh, and I realise now where the other post came from!  Sorry about
> > that.
>
> No worries.
>
> -- Thomas Adam

Sorry to reply again to the same post.  Firstly, I confess to not noticing
that there was a command prompt underneath the menu (sigh!).  However, I
tried entering in video='vga 16:off', and I also tried video=vga 16:off and
video='vga16:off' and video=vga16:off ... but all to no avail.  Didn't make
any difference.

Also, I can't find a non-graphical install option.  It isn't looking good,
is it?

Peter