[SWLUG] L 99 after install on 160GB HD

Jonathan Wright mail at djnauk.co.uk
Tue Mar 9 01:09:12 UTC 2004

Davage, Marcus wrote:
> Any clues? Does Linux not read past the BIOS's 135GB limitation, even
> though Windows 200 does?

I this case, Windows isn't. Windows is hard coded to always require the
first partition to install all it's book information (found this out the
hard way! :). Win98 put it's bootloader there first, but Win2k probably
overwrote it when it was installed, meaning that it only needs to access
the 5Gb partition to boot.

Maybe u could resize the Win98 partition, knocking off a few meg (about
10-15 should do it) and create a new ext2 partition in that space,
mounting it as /boot. then, just get lilo to boot the kernel off that
partition and you shouldn't have any problems with the size of the drive
then (the kernel will do the rest).

HTH.

jonathan wright                          mail at djnauk.co.uk
--
life has no meaning unless we can enjoy what we've been given