[SWLUG] ntl Broadband and Mandrake 9.1

justin at discordia.org.uk justin at discordia.org.uk
Sun Mar 14 11:04:12 UTC 2004

On 13 Mar, 'o-Dzin Tridral wrote:

> Could anyone tell me what the next step is, once the cable modem is
> plugged into the ethernet port?  Apparently we have to get a temporary
> IP address, and then register for a permanent one.  I'm told that the
> installing engineer will not know what to do.

You set the ether card to get its address by DHCP.

When you plug the modem in for the first time (ie before your
registered) it will assign you an IP address which cannot talk to the
internet, but it can talk to the registration server.

So you point your web browser at the registration server, fill in all
the details, etc etc.

Once that has all sunk into the system, you can reboot the modem and
fetch a new dhcp lease, and you will be given a real world ip that can
see the internet.

thats it!