[SWLUG] Linux on an ancient box

Gareth Watkins gw at garethwatkins.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 13:59:57 UTC 2004

Because of work & ignorance, I have to use Windows most of the time. But
I've been so bothered by hackers lately (they seem to be waiting there &
turn up within a minute or two, but the firewall blocks some or all of
them) that I'd like to have a browsing-only PC. I've got some old PCs,
e.g. a P-100 with about 90Mb RAM.
Can anyone suggest a small Linux system that would run a browser (over a
56K modem) on a PC as primitive as that? (I have RedHat CDs going back
quite a long way, & Mozillas.) And what browser? (Not e.g. Lynx, because
pictures are sometimes useful.)
Or could I do a custom install of FC2 that would give me a bare minimum
of what I need? Does anybody know of an absolutely minimal list of
essential applications? I just want to look at web pages (without
viewing videos etc) and occasionally download files.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Gareth Watkins