[SWLUG] Cannot mount PCMCIA CDROM

STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU stephanos at writeme.com
Sun Nov 28 17:18:43 UTC 2004

Dear All

(Mandrake 10, Kernel 2.6.3)

My laptop is back fixed and I have installed Mandrake.  I have one PCMCIA slot and when I insert my TEAC CDROM nothing happens.  There is a light on the ROM flashing but no turning of the CD.

I do not have an icon on the desktop to mount this device, which I suppose is understandable as so many different things can be inserted into the slot.  I looked in /dev/ and the folders I do not understand are ieee1394, mapper, snd.

I have checked the two manuals that came with the distro.  How do I check to make sure that the PCMCIA slot is recognised and how do I mount a CD (at command line and graphically)?

Stephen (Swansea, Wales, UK)