[SWLUG] laptops

pbhj pbhj at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 13 10:15:37 UTC 2004

Foeh Mannay wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 18:10, nat wrote:
>

>>my
>>tablet pc had a transmeta processor in it - the battery on that could
>>last around 4-5hrs.
>>

>Finally, someone acknowledges that you don't have to buy apple to get
>battery life over an hour!
>
>I've got a fairly average P4 Dell laptop for my work machine and it
>regularly lasts over 4 hours off the dock. Only had it for 6 months but
>I've not noticed any battery degredation at all - it really does last
>ages. I know others who have IBM kit which lasts about the same - I was
>in a training course recently where a guy forgot the power brick for his
>thinkpad but managed to last until after dinner before he needed to
>borrow one.
>
>The whole battery life == apple myth really gets on my wick!
>
>Foeh

I usually top-post, so this seems weird ... anyhow. Just in case anyone
wanted to know I'm quite happy with my IBM Thinkpad R40e ... it's only
USB1 and doesn't have the CDRW (only CDR) drive. But I had it dual
booting with Mandrake and have had it working nicely under Knoppix (3.3)
I think.

The battery life is at best 2 hours (according to the battery meter).
I've never drained it completely so I can't tell for sure. And that is
with reduced screen brightness and CPU throttling!!

pbhj