[SWLUG] MySQL client on W2K

Peter Bradley apvx95 at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Oct 14 17:39:45 UTC 2004

Ysgrifennodd Terry John:
> I've been having some fun with MySQL on Linux but I want to access my
> database from my W2K box. I've seen a full download of MySQL for Wndows.
> Is there anything that wil give me client access on W2K without having
> to install the full server?
>
> Terry

You should install the lot, I think.  At least version 4.1 so you get
sub-queries.  You could try to get 5.0 to work if you want views as
well.  It's a bit hit and miss though.

Use InnoDB tables for transactions.

MySQLAdministrator + MySQL Query Browser are the best GUI front ends in
my opinion (on both Windows and Linux).  One tool I've really enjoyed
(but failed to manage to install on Linux :( I'm afraid) is DBDesigner4.
  It allows you to develop your schema graphically and then generates
the DML for you, if you want.

HTH

Peter