[SWLUG] MySQL client on W2K

Terry John terry.john at bbc.co.uk
Fri Oct 15 07:33:37 UTC 2004

>Ysgrifennodd Terry John:
>> I've been having some fun with MySQL on Linux but I want to access my
>> database from my W2K box. I've seen a full download of MySQL for Wndows.
>> Is there anything that wil give me client access on W2K without having
>> to install the full server?

>You should install the lot, I think.  At least version 4.1 so you get
>sub-queries.  You could try to get 5.0 to work if you want views as
>well.  It's a bit hit and miss though.

You're probably right. But I can't think of any reason to have MySQL server on my W2K box. Answers on a postcard please :-)

>Use InnoDB tables for transactions.
I'd seen that long word as I've been looking around. No idea what it is though.

>MySQLAdministrator + MySQL Query Browser are the best GUI front ends in
>my opinion (on both Windows and Linux).  One tool I've really enjoyed
>(but failed to manage to install on Linux :( I'm afraid) is DBDesigner4.
>  It allows you to develop your schema graphically and then generates
>the DML for you, if you want.

Are they available from mysql.com or are they commercial? Part of what I'm trying to acheive is to see how far I can go to just using open source stuff. Only for my own amusement, but if I can do something worthwhile then I can make it available for others, mind you that doesn't happen too often :-)

Hwyl
Terry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ - World Wide Wonderland

stated.