[SWLUG] ppp output includes password

bascule asura at theexcession.co.uk
Sat Oct 16 19:32:31 UTC 2004

having set up my laptop to use dial up i notriced that the output from pp
includes the password in plain i.e:
Looking for secret in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets for client <client> server (null)
Got client <client>
Got server *
Got secret *
Got client <password>

the second 'got client line' has the password in it, i don't remember seeing
that from a few years ago when i was connecting via dial-up from my main
machineis this normal?, second, it doesn't make sense to me anyway, why is
there a second 'got client' line, and why use the password?
my pap-secrets says
<client>	*	<password>

apart from this i connect fine, i'd just be more comfortable knowing that
finding my password would involve more than just switching to ctrl-alt-f1and
viewing the output after dialing up in X if i let my daughter get online with
my laptop :)

bascule
--
he'd twice failed to become Village Idiot through being overqualified.
(Maskerade)