[SWLUG] Re: USA laptops

swlug at azem.org swlug at azem.org
Thu Oct 28 12:55:19 UTC 2004

<quote>
Better - if you want a portable computer - to build
something on a mATX board and pop it into something
like an old laptop case, IMHO.
</quote>

Its nice to see someone suggesting this.
I have recently aquired a Via Eden11 machine with 7" touch screen, 1
gig ram, slot dvdrw, n other stuff.
the idea I have for this machine is to encode composite video in
remote locations for bands then burn to dvd etc plus a bit of war
driving and general portable use.

The draw backs are that it is suprising how much space and faff value
the cables take up even with as much wireless stuff as possible, i
got around it by attaching the unit (the size of a ream of A5) to the
side of a rucksack, the collection of soap on a rope psus go in a
pouch on the other side, and inside the bag go usbhd, bag of assorted
cat5, audio, video cables, notepad, small bag of hubs, thumb drives,
2 spare wifinics, screwdriver etc, the screen and a car battery (2
days ups).
so essentialy, EVERYTHING  i need is in one small rucksack which
doesnt give away its true value.

the plus point is that this Via board is a beast of a machine, 4xusb2,
2xcat5, composite video out, digital audio out (plus in, out and
mic), cf card, pcmcia slot and 2 ide master/slave, floppy input etc
etc etc. (also boots to a knoppix pmi on compact flash with lilo and
miniroot on a 64m ide flash drive module - low power no hd)

I have thought of bringing it to a swlug meeting at the shot the other
night, but Im wary of the knob who points out that the bag is 6 times
larger than his laptop, and 30 times larger than his pda!

but for me, it does everything i want it to and a whole heap more.
and cost < £700 the lot.

anyone catch Max Boyce on Stuart Cables show, , some love him, some
hate him!

stu