[SWLUG] Re: brown screen on ubuntu

Pete Prior swlug at nermal.org
Mon Apr 4 12:30:23 UTC 2005

Rhys Sage wrote:
> I'm quite happy with the system as it is but the
> little lady would like to run Microsoft Money. Is
> there anything similar that I can download? I'll be
> downloading via an XP PC and porting over via a CDRW.

Firstly, an email client which supports replying to list threads would
be beneficial :)

Try gnucash - sudo apt-get install gnucash, or install it through synaptic.

I imagine it will require a few dependencies (35 on mine) so I would
recommend getting net access to the box.

> The system is a little light on memory. Believe it or
> not but that puny 128mb was all Dell supplied with the
> machine (which originally ran XP Home).

I believe it...

> Then they called in the "Geek Squad"
> who failed miserably and declared the system to be
> completely broken. Sure, XP was broken - half the
> system files had vanished. The system works fine under
> Ubuntu though. My next quest will be for more memory.
> Has anybody any experience of Dell's rambus memory
> setup. Is it paired like the old memory or is it just
> a case of buy any rambus stick and put it in, in
> parallel with the existing memory?

I think rambus has to go in in pairs.  It's also bloody expensive.
There is probably a memory finder on www.cruicial.com which will let you
find the correct memory.

Pete